Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Book Review Beautiful Creatures Kami Garcia And Margaret Stohl

Book Review Beautiful Creatures Kami Garcia And Margaret Stohl
"In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets... There is a girl. Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head. Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes. There is a curse. On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised. And no one can stop it. In the end, there is a grave. Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided. Ethan never even saw it coming..."

"

"

"From the very beginning I knew that the thickness of the book meant that it could be either one, too draggy, or two, intricately woven.In the end it was a bit of both. I was not too keen - the first few chapters seemed to be paced really slow, almost like the life in Gatlin. Monotonous, boring, someplace which you only have to get out and not come in. Understandly it underscores the plot, and is an introduction to the whole setting. Unfortunately I would have much preffered narrator Ethan to have narrated so much more faster. Despite me feeling like there was too much of unimportant things included, I read every word and didn't skip. Speaking of unimportant things, I thought the fact that half the book seemed to be about Ethan moaning about his town and the civil war was a waste, though not completely. For someone like me who has the most basic albeit repetitive concept about the American Civil War, it was an okay lesson. Sort of. Boring as hell, so I can't blame Ethan for despising it. Though I have always wondered if some towns really still do that those kinds of things (ie, re-enactments) or if it was just one of the many stereotypes. Moving on, I believe the characters were believable. Well, as believable as a spell caster like Lena could be, that is. Reading from Ethan's POV was refreshing and original. Compared to mostly heroine naratted texts, I could distinguish the lack of focus on certain feminine things on Ethan's perspective. He wasn't exactly to-die-for gorgeous, or I-can-take-a-fire-breathing-dragon brave, and at times I could not understand what he was thinking, but he's made average and so normal that I just loved him anyway. I think Ethan was a good blend in terms of characterisation. Lena - well, I don't really understand her stance mostly, but I think that's what the book might have wanted to convey. She's different, but unique. She's pretty much worried, paranoid, afraid - surely if anyone was in her shoes, with all the burden she has, they prolly would come across exactly like Lena. Like Ethan, it's these flaws that make her loveable as a character. I fell for her, especially in the end. The other annoying characters were... well, annoying. Others, like Amma and Marian, I absolutely adoooore! And how cute was Boo Radley? :D I love how the book wasn't exactly only about romance. Nor was it specifically mystery, fantasy or anything else - everything is so intricately woven that it's just so well-blended. The dialogue used wasn't too mushy as one would expect from a romance book, but all the same it comes across as powerful. It's easy to get lost in the mystery of the plot and forget that it is actually romance that propels Ethan and Lena towards the ultimate ending - which by the way, never guessed and never would have even if I tried. Brownie points for that! Overall, it's such a worthy read. If ever the long-winded narration of inconsequential matters deter you, I suggest skimming, maybe, but it's a hard game as I found some of those narration appeared to be useful at some later part. But, I definitely don't think you should put the book down because the end was really really captivating. It speeds through and leaves you breathless and you're never really sure how it ends. It's just the way a book should be. The resolution wasn't too brief, and leaves open-ended questions and nurtures your interest, though it doesn't leave you hanging painfully (which I hate). The book itself can stand alone, and it's very worthy of that too. Can't wait for the sequel! FOUR STARS."

Reference: mark-rayan-pua.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment