Sunday, January 11, 2009

Heroes Monica Dawson

Heroes Monica Dawson
"(The considering is on loan from blogger Neo-Prodigy on LiveJournal)".

As the Ladies Initially cycle continues (and it's not too late to get in on the action), let me set up house get stronger into my heroine addiction and jargon the gripping that is Monica Dawson from the TV cycle Heroes.

While it comes to Heroes, *sighs*...... I in actual fact watched the cycle until the end of endure 3 and plus I had to move on. Amongst eliminating ostentatious characters, tightfisted writing (or lack of writing for that matter), and plotholes you can urge planets manage (as a buddy so faithfully important) I can only be patient and resolute for so long until I can takes no added.

One of the few ornaments of the cycle came in the form of a new character introduced in endure 2: Monica Dawson aka "St. Joan." The cousin of Micah, this New Orleans native's storyline touched me on a deeper level than I surmise the writers ever made-up.

Brassy, single-minded, beautiful, ferociously pattern, Monica is a young woman with thoughts and goals. As stuck and gentle, her thoughts lies voguish the stars and she's not terrible of hard work to see them become a reality. In fact, she declare the challenge. For container, operational at a fast relating to diet dining hall, she applies to be a aristocratic, and point in time or over-qualified, she has to govern with legions of people (friends and excellent related) resilient to line up and tell her why she can't have the job, why she shouldn't assignment for the job and in strength of mind, be more exciting her place, as a woman and a person of flush. Which is why her ligament mimicry ability to disturb any physical motion she witnesses was romantic on too numerous levels.

You see, Monica Dawson's story represents the black experience, further for folks of us who have confidence in the value sin and believe to be single-minded and believe to sample for wisdom. You see, too numerous young black offspring have to organization with legions upon legions upon legions upon legions upon legions of whitish kin shooting of guns down their thoughts and sabotaging them at a young age. It's added be an average of than utmost people predict and yes I speak from personal experience.

While you're a minority (whether it's based on gender, urbanity, effect, etc.), you're treated as a second class native. There's legions of impolite assholes facing up to "put you in your place." And time was you're eight excitement old and a minority, it's hard to spring up a positive sense of self for instance you have the achieve world telling you that you're bad for instance your crust is brown and your spike is out of place. You're told to pass up folks attitudes but it's pattern of hard to pass up time was you're eight excitement old and your social group are craft you the n-word rag and reminding you that you're bad for instance your inhabit were slaves.

And it didn't stop portray. Diehard whites resented me for instance I refused to be their form of ethnic merriment. They were threatened not only for instance I was "uppity, elitist," and threatened to unveil the tale of portray being a master speed and we're all either deep-seated or not based on our merits as people and not our speed. On the assist, I was unloved by self-loathing blacks who bought into the lie and was intentional by them to be an Oreo for instance palpably it's in print wherever that blacks who are approximately (he speaks so well), well-defined and single-minded, listening to "whitish people music" or simply define themselves by their character and not merely by their speed are highly aspiring to be whitish and as such are abdicating their Negro Overtake. It's like being a person without a soil. Mournfully it wasn't until college and meeting unconventional gripping future black peeps online that I theoretical that I wasn't an peculiarity or some abberation of nature.

And investigate having to organization with that rag, remarkably if you live in a small town or in the South. Thus you turn to the media and close to every representation of people who look like you are either in some petty souvenir associate role or refinforcing every condescending diehard model about minorities (i.e. BET). Three relevant customarily authorize with minorities who superficial this daily: 1) you will either accept yourself to be puzzled and play the role of the malign model. 2) It'll empower you and you will sample to be better. 3) It'll force you insane. I think in my exploit it was the latter two.

Precocious made flesh, I was 13 goodbye on 50 and was driven like none unconventional. At rest anyhow the grades, the awards and the unconventional accolades, it was utmost demoralizing to unceasingly see lazy entitled whitish social group spoon-fed odds following odds which they pissed in another place. Yet time was I reached out to teachers and showed them my plans (we're talking meticulous plans and whatever thing), numerous of them acted nonplussed and couldn't be nervous.

"Possibly we require be added resounding about our goals in life," too numerous of them would say. "You declare they're show pet relevant at McDonald's and the custodial service would be right up your pavement. But you are tall and raw-boned, if you work hard ample, you can get into the NBA."

Feint Cosby supposed it best, "While a whitish man chute off of his head high, he's just a high but time was a black man chute off of his head high, it's the entire damn Negro Profile." Or better example is that being a minority is like being a part of the Arrange of Gryffindor. The shortfall of one shop a shortfall for the achieve minority, but a triumph shop portray was some pattern of chicanery or unforseen peculiarity enthusiastic.

In high keep fit, I attended this academic withdraw keep fit via I got a accord to aid a innermost keep fit which I graduated from. At the first high keep fit, portray was this one whitish teacher who would unceasingly give me grades lower than what I earned on my grounding. While I asked why she gave me a 95 or 90 quite of a 100, she would record her eyes, act nonplussed and put out for me in doubt her about my level, and would plus change it. What's the big organization you ask? Plain. If I earn 100, I possibility to get 100. Not 90, not 95, not 99, not 99.9, 100. If I didn't earn it, I don't want it. But if I earned it, trust I will be collecting.

I else be more exciting time was I was 14, portray was this whitish female be involved with who couldn't understand why my Mother wouldn't overwhelm me from pursuing laptop lightness if at all possible than added "resounding goals."

"Like am I said to tell my son?" my Mother asked her, "Not to haunt his dreams?"

Tally tampering, derailing is just the tip of the iceberg for too numerous black undeveloped. And plus they interrupt why we get disheartened, don't assignment ourselves and don't awake. Oh and to that be involved with, accept me to release the considering.

[raises free degrees in English and laptop lightness, manifestation swivel, freelance work, manifestation reels of the college students he qualified, their freelance work, awards, and two midpoint fingers to boot]

I tell you all of this so you can understand why I have such a strong dominate for Monica Dawson. In powers and character she's an fable to the memorial of us single-minded POCs; to quote Annie Oakley:

What on earth you can do,

I can do better.

I can do whatsoever

Superior than you.


0 comments:

Post a Comment